Based on Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins from one of my favourite cookbooks, Anne Lindsay’s New Light Cooking.
Lisa’s Awesome Breakfast Loaf
1 cup each oat or wheat bran and whole wheat flour
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup cooked puréed pumpkin * (homemade or canned)
1/2 cup dried cranberries **
1/2 cup chopped walnuts **
1 cup buttermilk or soured milk (1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to make 1 cup)
1 tsp orange liqueur *** (some grated orange rind would be great here too but I didn’t have any)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Thoroughly grease or spray one large loaf pan.
3. In large bowl, stir together bran, flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cranberries, and walnuts.
4. In separate bowl, lightly beat egg; stir in pumpkin, buttermilk, and orange liqueur. Pour over dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for approximately 70 minutes or until top springs back to the touch and tester inserted all the way to the bottom comes out clean.
Freezes well. Recipe can be doubled (or tripled, if you have large enough bowls.) Not too sweet, great for breakfast on the go!
* Alternatives to pumpkin:
- grated apple
- grated carrot
- grated zucchini
- mashed ripe banana
- cooked puréed squash or sweet potato
** Alternatives to cranberries and/or walnuts:
- other chopped nuts
- chocolate chips (would be great with banana)
- other dried fruit, chopped if necessary (dates, prunes, candied ginger, etc)
- trail mix
*** Alternatives to orange liqueur
- almond extract
- maple flavouring